7 Secrets to Know Before Listing Your Home this Fall
In advance of placing that “for sale” sign in your yard this fall, the Greater Louisville Association of REALTORS® (GLAR) wants to remind homeowners of these little known tips. Not only will these quick and easy improvements increase the value and appeal of your home, but they’ll also get your house prepared and protected before the winter weather hits.
1. Fall is the best time of year to plant trees and shrubs. The fall moisture and cooler air helps encourage root growth, which results in stronger, more developed root systems when the plant begins to grow in the spring.
2. For similar reasons as spelled out above, fall is the best time of year to aerate and power seed your lawn.
3. Be sure to clean out gutters and downspouts once the leaves have fallen so future snow and ice doesn’t create an ice dam that could lead to leaking in your home.
4. Before lighting your fireplace this winter, have the fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned by a professionally certified chimney sweep. As a bonus, look for a professional who’s also F.I.R.E. certified (Fireplace Investigation, Repair, and Education) to provide a thorough inspection of your fireplace and chimney to make sure they’re safe.
5. Change the direction of your ceiling fans to create an upward draft that redistributes warm air from the ceiling.
6. Clean your humidifiers regularly during the cooler months when the heat is on. Bacteria and spores can develop in a dirty water tank resulting in unclean moisture misting out into your room.
7. Caulk around windows and doorframes. Any openings to the outside can cause water to get in and freeze, resulting in cracks and mold buildup. This will also help insulate your home and save money on heating bills.